April 28, 2013

joanne arnett.







one of my favorite classes while studying for my degree in textiles was jacquard - the behemoth of a weaving machine that truly amazed me each time i had a chance to see my patterns come to life in an instant.  i think my appreciation for the complexity of these machines is what makes me so obsessed with these gorgeous woven portraits by artist joanne arnett.  using vintage mugshots, (which let's be honest, are already pretty cool in and of themselves) she creates oversized portraits that blend pattern mixing, bright color, and intricate weave patterns to create something completely new.  the pieces are woven with a mix of cotton and thin metallic wire which lends them a reflective, photographic quality that shifts with the viewer.  consider me impressed!  see more from joanne here. and thanks to erika for the tip!  

No comments:

Post a Comment